Friday, January 20, 2012

enter the dragon

I told you all that I was very excited for this year and I feel like big things are going to happen for me. I am 35 and my mom said that was her best year ever. So far it has been mine, as well! Now it is all coming together with the stars, as this is the Chinese Year of the Dragon. Guess who is a dragon? That's right - yours truly. I was born in 1976, the Bicentennial of our country, the Year of the Dragon, and I am a Leo. All fire signs, ruled by the sun, and I am going to celebrate this whole year!
My grandmother took a trip to China back in the 70's and brought back this set of rice pattern china with dragons on it, which I now use as my everyday stuff. This type of china has been made since 960, and refers to the rice which was embedded in the clay before firing, leaving behind these transparent spot designs on the edge. Now you can find them online. They are machine washable and perfect for everyday use.


If you wanna get fancy schmancy, Mottahedeh has a pattern called Blue Dragon, which is gorgeous and sells for $195 for a 5 piece place setting...

 Of course the most popular dragon in interior design is probably Schumacher's Chiang Mai dragon, which my bestie E in San Diego is desperate to use in her house. We want to wallpaper a hallway or powder room with it, but the pattern is so bold, it often makes great ottomans and benches.




It is almost impossible to find classic jewelry with a dragon motif, as most dragon jewelry goes a little, how shall we say, "medieval faire". So I am super proud of a cherry turquoise necklace my mom gave me many years ago with a black resin dragon pendant. I wore it on my interview at Takashimaya NY, and I am sure it was the reason I got the job!

If you are looking for your own piece of lucky dragon jewelry, Elva Fields makes this gorgeous "Year of the Dragon" necklace, which would make a very bold statement!


Would you use dragons in your home? What about your astrological sign?
E

5 comments:

Lonely Wife Project said...

Mine is the ram and lo and behold I have a giant ceramic (horny) ram in my living room! I'm jealous of your dragon though. It's so much cooler.

Lonely Wife Project said...

OH AND GUESS WHAT? I'm coming to New Orleans at the end of February (Mardi gras). We MUST meet!

Elizabeth said...

Sabbie - what dates exactly? I am going to the Dominican Republic the 15th through the 19th - Fat Tuesday is the 21st, I believe...
-e

Elizabeth said...

You know I drool over that chianga Mai - I gotsta have it!

Lonely Wife Project said...

I'm there from the 16th through the 21st. I think we leave early on the 21st. I will be sad if I don't meet you :(