Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Book/Art Ledges


Today I received another call about the nursery I did for my bestie in San Diego. This call (and 99% of all calls received) was about the book ledges. It has been super popular and is a great idea for any nursery, child's room, or art wall.
The ledges we did were custom, but they were based on Pottery Barn's Holman ledges.


We took the height and depth of the Holman ledges (3.5" each) and then made ours the length we wanted (about 100" long). The most important thing about choosing the length is to make sure you can get that long a piece of wood down your hallways and to turn into the room! Then we took this picture to Home Depot (you can use Lowe's or any wood worker) and had them cut the ledges to our measurements. Then we painted them the same color as the wall. I like my shelves to be 14" apart to allow for the height of most children's picture books, so I took the height of the ceiling (in inches) and divided it by 14 to see how many rows I could do to fill up the entire wall.
Use a chalk line to make sure your lines are straight, then apply the ledges to the wall on your chalk lines. We drilled them into the studs, filled in the drill holes with wood putty, and painted the spots.
Sounds like a lot of time and energy, but it saves a ton of money!
If you go for it please send a pic so we can all ooh and aah over your hard work... :)
E

P.S. Only 2 days left before the Giveaway winner is announced on Friday! You still have time to comment...

5 comments:

Kara said...

Hi Elizabeth! I actually started following you from House of Turquoise after I saw your nursery room pictures. I took your idea and made my own in my nursery (expecting May 30th). Here's the build process : http://mekhart.blogspot.com/2011/02/nursery-room-book-shelves.html .

And here's what the bookshelves looked like after my baby shower (in lieu of a card, all of the girls brought books to help fill this up!): http://mekhart.blogspot.com/2011/03/nursery-room-book-shelves-filled.html .

Thanks so much for the inspiration...it's one of my absolute favorite parts about her nursery!!

Anonymous said...

This idea makes me want to procreate!

Elizabeth said...

Kara, your shelves look awesome! So glad to see them..
Sabz you should procreate without delay.
E

Tamra {ever swoon} said...

Ditto to Lonely wife! But since I need a few years to do that, I've shared it with all my prego nesting friends. Such a great idea!

Unknown said...

I adore this room and am currently working on my nursery for our first child. I'm dying to know how I can get the pouf that is pictured! Where is it from?

Lindsay
Lmmacbeth7@gmail.com