Friday, June 4, 2010

Lake Austin Spa

I am a total spa junkie. My mom got me started very early with hair salon visits and manicures, and my entire family finds it to be the ultimate relaxation. Even after a particularly painful procedure at a spa, my mom will joke, "They can beat me with horsetails and spray me down with a fire hose, as long as they are doing SOMETHING to me at a spa!" We have even moved our yearly Thanksgiving celebration to the Spa at The Grand Hotel in Fairhope, Alabama, so we can intersperse our turkey binges with massages. Every place we travel in the world, we seek out a spa to spend at least one day trying new and interesting treatments. I have been to famous spas like Canyon Ranch in Arizona, and completely hidden gems in Mexico, New York, and Thailand.
But the absolute best spa I have ever been to in my entire life is Lake Austin Spa in Austin, Texas. My mom took me there to celebrate my college graduation and took my sister once to celebrate her Master's degree, I believe. From the most inspiring decor to the pool in the barn, this place is perfect. We learned how to play poker and met some of the most interesting people in the world. You live in the robe provided, and never get dressed unless you are going to paddle on the river or take a tennis lesson. They have lemonade and popcorn out at all times and after the most spectacular dinner in the world we would take popcorn and a movie back to our private cabin. I seriously cannot say enough about this place; it is absolutely Heaven on Earth.
Thanks to my mom for introducing it to me - hopefully one day I can afford to take someone I love there for a weekend!
What is your favorite Spa or place to visit? Do you have something fun that you like to do with your mom?
E




No comments: